Typography - Final Project


07.11.2018 - 21.11.2018 | Week 11 - Week 13
Kang Jiet Yee | 0336776
Typography
Final Project

Lecture Notes

Lecture 11

07.11.2018 | Week 11

No lecture due to Public Holiday


Lecture 12

14.11.2018 | Week 12
No lecture today, we are advice to complete our blog for project 1 and project 2 and move to our final project to get it complete on time.


Lecture 13

21.11.2018 | Week 13
No lecturer today, we proceed to do our final project and get feedback from Mr VInod.


Instructions 



Final Project | Expression, Hierarchy & Composition 

We are assigned to design a poster that illustrate social message in Taylor's University using only letter and minor graphical elements.


Fig 1.1 1st Attempt - Design 1

Fig 1.2 1st Attempt - Design 2 
After getting feedback from Mr Vinod, he choose the first design of poster, he commented that the second one was more to illustration which is not good, and he ask me to stick to the first design which having a really nice composition and placement of text. Also, the top right of the poster looks empty which mean I need to add come line or sentence to it.


Fig 1.3 2nd Attempt 


Fig 1.4 3rd Attempt

Fig 1.5 4th Attempt


I tried different placement of text after getting feedback and finally got my final outcome for it.



Fig 1.6 5th Attempt



After I show this to Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul, they advice me to change the background colour for the poster, because white colour is too plain and not stands out enough if I do framing later on. They recommend me to have light blue as background colour which maintains the overall design.


Fig 1.7 Final Outcome : Poster


Fig 1.8 PDF File for Final Outcome

Animated Gif

After complete the design of the poster, we are require to animate our poster as an animated gif.


Fig 1.9 Art boards Used in Illustrator 
Fig 1.10  Final Outcome : Animated Gif


Feedbacks

Week 13

Specific Feedback : I showed Mr Vinod 2 of different idea for my poster design, he commentend that the choosing of typeface is very good, the composition and placement are nice, the only thing that need to make changes is the space looks kind of empty, ned to add some sentence or lines to ave a better outcome. After showing different ideas to Mr Vinod, he ask me to do some final changes and proceed to animate the poster.


Reflections 

Experience

Week 12

I was so confused about of my overall design since it looks so simple and some how empty, my inspiration pops out like suddenly which surprise me. Doing research also helps me a lot.

Week 13

I done so many attempts to get the right composition for the empty space, I ask a lot of feedback from Mr Vinod and his advice do help to to figure out a better design for it. I also asking feedbacks and advice from friends, they do help me s lot.

Observations

Week 12

Always do research and readings to have further understanding and get more idea from it.


Week 13

It was not easy to get a right placement and composition for text, different design result different effects and visual for the poster. Always ask feedback from other.


Findings

Week 12

I found out that there is a lot of interesting idea from both online and book which really inspired me a lot.


Week 13

Feedback and advice are very important for us to find out our strength and weakness, also to improve and having ideas in our work.


Further Readings

Week 12

Stop, Think, Go, Do : How Typography & Graphic Design Influence Behavior

By Mirko Ilić and Steven Heller 


Figure 2.1 : Book Cover
For our final project, we required to create a poster use only type and minor graphical elements, so I decide to look for book that have some reference and also research about poster design.

Chapter 5 : ENTERTAIN - Much graphic design cannot afford neutrality; it must grab attention in crowded environments.

Figure 2.2 : Content - Chapter 5 ENTERTAIN
I found this 2 poster interesting, they have contrast style of design which both have a really nice composition. Designers are often entertained by anything having to do with type and typography. And because of its serious demeanor, Helvetica is one of those faces that is quite easy to parody. Besides, Afex Box is an experimental “Block Buster” fat display font. Inspired by top-to-bottom block graffiti letters, this display type is trying to invade as much space as possible. These shows that creating a poster using type is not easy, it requires a lot of research and consideration to have a interesting outcome.

Comments

Popular Posts