Typography - Project 2


24.10.2018 - 31.10.2018 | Week 9- Week 10
Kang Jiet Yee | 0336776
Typography
Project 2

Lecture Notes

Lecture 9

24.10.2018 | Week 9

No lecture on this week, Mr Vinod brief us about our project 2.

Lecture 10

31.10.2018 | Week 10

Mr Vinod brief us about the instruction to use the font lab 5 to generate our font. Then he move on to brief us about our Final Project.


Instruction



Project 2 | Font Design

Letter Construction 

Mr Vinod want us to choose a letter from look into the letter construction by apply circle and stroke on it. The letter u choose is R - Typeface (Futura Std). It is interesting to know that letter are not just simple stroke, sometimes it is not always the same for the shapes, the thickness of strokes can be different in. both vertical and horizontal line. Hence, It requires a lot of measurement to create a suitable typeface.

Figure 1.1 : Letter R (Futura Std)

Mr. Vinod ask us to start on our project 2, I decided to work on Bembo Std, hence I look into the letter construction by doing line and stroke exercise. Compare to R from Futura std, R from Bembo std are contains more difference in terms of strokes thickness and also the shapes.

Figure 1.2 : Letter R (Bembo Std)

Sketches

Then we are assigned to sketch out 3 initials of our name, my sketch are refer to Bembo Std.


Figure 1.3 : First Attempt : Sketch

After getting feedback from Mr Vinod, I refine the stroke more to make it looks clean and more relevant.

Figure 1.4 : Final Outcome : Sketch

Digitise | Illustrator

Then we need to digitise the letter in adobe illustrator.

Figure 1.5 : Design Progress in Illustrator 

Generate Font | Font Lab

Generate the font using font lab studio 5


Figure 1.6 : Generate font in FontLab - Letter R

Figure 1.7 : Generate font in FontLab - Letter C

Figure 1.8 : Generate font in FontLab - Letter L

Final Outcome 

Then we include the letter construction, sketch and slo our final outcome as thumbnail .

Figure 1.9 : Thumbnail of Project 2 Final Outcome 


Feedback

Week 8

Mr Vinod commented on my cover page where the design can't really illustrate the 'first thing first' well, and the text within one page should be align. Besides, he also mentioned that  we don't need to express all the words in the sentence which like what I have done wrongly, he advice me to do some changes and try to improve my work for a better outcome.

Week 9

Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul approved my sketch for font design, but after digitising it, Mr Vinod commented that my sketch looks better than the digitise version, and the edges was too sharp which need to make some changes on it. Besides, the stroke of my letter must be consistent and having the same thickness, for letter 'C' in my initials was not relevant as a letter C, Mr Vinod advice me to study about and look into letter C to create a better outcome.


Reflections

Experiences

Week 9

I was shook when I first know that we need to circle and layout the straight line of a chosen letter, after I done the exercise, I found out that the letter are not just simple lines, it contains of different kind of strokes, also circle to form an appropriate letter.

Week 10

This was the first tine for me to use font lab, it was quite confusing because I was first using he demo version, it appears watermark in the letter where the letter cannot be successfully use as typing. Then I ask the file of FontLab 5 from my senior in order to get my project 2 done.

Observations

Week 9

Small initials need to be aware of their ascender and descender, the x-height must be maintain but we also need to control the height o the overall letter to get the consistency and appropriate of font design.

Week 10

We must aware of the stoke and tools we use to digitalise the letter, since the letter are import illustrator to font lab, we must get the shape clear in order to have a fine outcome.

Findings

Week 9

It was interesting to know that the letter are not always have consistent length and size, which the circle can not be round sometimes, I must do better research and look more into each letter to have better understanding for their difference.

Week 10

I found out that FontLab is quite interesting  to use, I can have that for future use to generate my own font which I can design my own typeface.


Further Reading

Week 9

Typography, Referenced : A Comprehensive Visual Guide to the Language, History, and Practice of Typography

By: Allan Haley, Richard Poulin, Jason TselentisTony Seddon, Gerry Leonidas, Ina Saltz, Kathryn Hendersonwith Tyler Alterman

Figure 2.1 : Book Cover


About project 2, we need to observe ever part in a letter, it is not easy, and many knowledge in each letter, so I decide to look for a book that talk about the letter design.

Chapter : Type Design and Development By Gerry Leonidas

Development of Type Design

This is a detail from one of the many sketches in the development of Antonio Cavedoni’s Enquire. The typeface is typical of contemporary designs that question the conventions of stress angles for modulated typefaces. At the bottom is the regular weight of a near-final design. Designing a type was not easy, it requires sketching out the structure of letter before digitalise the typeface.



Comments

Popular Posts